Coming up with blog ideas to fill your editorial calendar can sometimes feel like a daunting task. But with this list of 35 blog ideas, you’ll never struggle with developing topics for your content marketing or blogging plans again.
31 Ways to Find Inspiration for Blog Ideas (Plus 4 Bonus!)
Get inspiration for marketing blog ideas that attract and engage your audience using these 31 tips.
- Create how-to guides. Develop a step-by-step guide on how to complete a task that is related to your topic, industry, products, or services.
- Develop an in-depth resource. Create a detailed evergreen content resource that explains an element, philosophy, or component of your industry or brand.
- Offer industry expertise. You and your team know a lot about your industry, so share your knowledge through thought-leadership and expert advice and opinion posts.
- Develop product or service guides. Design content that helps customers who have already purchased your products or services. Develop user guides that engage customers and support a complete customer lifecycle marketing strategy.
- Post your video clips. Don’t keep all of your videos on your YouTube or Vimeo channel. Instead, publish them along with a short article on your blog.
- Share conference presentations. Reuse content that you shared at a conference by publishing your presentation on your blog with a post about the event.
- Repurpose existing content. Find ways to repurpose content you’ve already published, so it serves other stages of the purchase funnel.
- Curate a list of your other posts. Make a list of five or more posts you’ve published that relate to the same topic or theme.
- Interview industry experts. Publish a Q&A with an industry expert to quickly produce a post filled with key takeaways and interesting stories. Here’s an example Q&A we did with Andy Crestodina from Orbit Media.
- Browse industry-related conversations on Twitter. Use hashtags to look for popular conversations that people are having about your industry Click & Tweet! .
- Host a social media AMA. An AMA, or ask me anything, is a conversation on social media where you ask followers to post their questions for you. Briefly answer on social and then use the questions to help you come up with more blog ideas.
- Browse your blog comments. Look for common questions or topics that your readers are interested in, and write posts about those themes.
- Browse your competitors’ blog comments. If there aren’t a lot of conversations in your comments section, look at your competitors’ blog comments to find trends.
- Ask your readers. Better yet, come right out and ask your readers what they’d like to see on your blog.
- See what your audience is interested in. Enter your site or a site your target audience frequents into Alexa’s Audience Interest tool to produce a list of categories and topics that your readers are interested in.
- Talk to your sales team. Ask your sales team what questions they frequently hear from customers. Develop blog ideas that provide answers.
- Talk to your customer service team. Get insights from your customer service team about what type of content will serve existing customers, help improve engagement, and boost retention.
- Look at your website analytics. Look at the most visited pages and blog posts on your site and write content that dives deeper into those topics. Be sure to avoid keyword cannibalization by doing keyword research to determine the right target term.
- Look at most visited help content. Similar to the above, look at the most visited help content on your support site. Generate blog ideas based on the topics or questions that are searched for most. Pro tip: Be sure your support and FAQ content is updated accordingly to ensure it has the most accurate and useful information.
- Tie your topic to the news. Consider what is going on in the news and draw connections between those current events and your brand, industry, or audience.
- Tie your topic to a popular trend. Find popular topics to write about using a discovery tool like BuzzSumo, and then create posts that tie your industry to the trending topic.
- Share interesting business data. If you find interesting trends in your business data, share it with your readers. For example, did you modify some part of your content marketing strategy and see an increase in organic traffic? Write about what changed and how it contributed to your success.
- Create data driven-content. Collect data about a topic that’s relevant to your audience and industry. Analyze the data and report on your findings. For example, do a survey to find out which tactics marketers invest in most. Or, analyze the fastest growing sites in your industry to understand what those sites have in common.
- Turn your data into an infographic. Make data more interesting to your readers by putting it in an infographic.
- Share a marketing case study. Tell a story about how you provided a solution that helped a client solve a problem.
- Feature a customer. Put one of your customers front and center by featuring their business, product, or service in a blog post.
- Feature a team member. Highlight the people who work at your organization by profiling employees and the work they do.
- Share news about your organization. Let customers know what is going on behind the scenes by sharing updates and news about your business.
- Share what inspires your brand. Feature books, blogs, conferences, or other inspiration that fuels you, your employees, and your business.
- Write a seasonal post. Look ahead at your content calendar and create blog ideas that relate to major holidays and upcoming seasons.
- Create a fun, social holiday post. Don’t stick with only the traditional holidays. Also, develop topics related to fun, social holidays.
Bonus: 4 Ways to Find Blog Ideas Using Keyword Research
Use the tips above to create unique blog ideas that interest and engage audiences. Then, use the following tips to come up with blog posts that also target valuable industry keywords and support your blog SEO plans.Use these 35 tips to create unique blog ideas that engage your target audience. Click To Tweet
- Find keywords that are closely related to your offering or industry. Use Alexa’s Keyword Difficulty Tool as a blog ideas generator to find related keywords and phrases that are tied to your core competencies.
- See what keywords drive traffic to your competitors. Enter up to 10 competitors in Alexa’s Competitor Keyword Matrix to get a list of popular keywords driving traffic to their sites. Go even deeper and develop blog ideas that target terms that aren’t currently driving traffic to your site by including your site in the report and using the keyword gaps filter. The keyword gaps filter shows the terms driving traffic to your competitors but not to your site.
- Find LSI keywords that are related to your topic or industry. Use Alexa’s Competitor Keyword Matrix and add a filter to find long tail keywords that can offer inspiration for blog ideas.
- Group themed keywords. Use the Keyword Cluster view of Alexa’s Competitive Keyword Matrix to find topics to blog about based on groups of keywords. Identifying popular topics and themes will help you generate even more blog ideas for your content strategy.
Never Struggle to Find Blog Ideas Again
Use these blog ideas to fill your editorial calendar with content that attracts and engages your target audience, while supporting a strong SEO plan.
Sign up for a free trial of Alexa’s Advanced Plan to access tools that will help you find marketing blog ideas and identify the top SEO keywords to target in your content. You can also try the tools mentioned in this post, like the Keyword Difficulty tool, Competitor Keyword Matrix, Audience Interest tool, and more.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE ALEXA BLOG
Get expert marketing insights delivered
Receive new SEO, content marketing, and competitive analysis tips straight to your inbox.